When a couple finds it difficult to conceive through natural intercourse, the doctor diagnoses for any fertility issues for both male and female partner. Male impotency accounts for at least 30 percent of all fertility issues in couples. Rathimed Fertility Centre offers the best infertility treatment options to help couples who are unable to conceive naturally through an itinerary of safe and effective assisted reproductive technology. We offer customized fertility treatment options for male and female partner based on their medical records.
Men diagnosed with infertility will have to undergo a semen analysis to investigate three major factors of sperm health:
- Sperm count
- The morphology of the sperm
- Sperm motility
Semen analysis is conducted more than once (at a gap of 30-60 days between each test) to get an accurate average on the number of sperms available in a sample. Semen analysis helps a doctor to determine if the male partner is fertile to achieve conception.
Semen Analysis Procedure
The doctor provides few instructions to the patient before the test ,to be prepared for the semen analysis test. This includes avoiding intake of alcohol, caffeine or any herbal medications before the semen sample is collected. The patient is also advised not to ejaculate 72 hours before the test as it can vary the count of sperms in the sample.
The semen is collected by ejaculation and sent to the laboratory to check for specific criterias. The reports shows a detailed review on the following factors:
- Sperm shape: Normal sperm morphology consist of a sperm head, mid section and tail. More than 4 % (Kruger criteria) of the sperms must be normally shaped to aid in fertilization.
- Sperm motility: Sperm motility is important for fertility because the sperm must travel through the female reproductive tract and reach the egg for fertilization. The sperm motility is analyzed in an automated system on a scale of 0 to 4, and should range between 3 or 4 to represent good sperm movement.
- pH: pH levels are also crucial for fertilization and the normal pH levels should be between 7.2 and 7.8. A variation in pH level indicates an infection or presence of block in the ejaculatory ducts.
- Volume: Normal semen volume should be greater than 2 milliliters
- Liquefaction: the semen when ejaculated is slightly thick and liquefies for the easy movement of sperms through the uterine tract. This liquefaction should happen in around 15 to 30 minutes after ejaculation to help sperms to move.
- Sperm count: Sperm count or sperm density in normal semen will be between 15 million to over 200 million. If there is a variation in this count it will be difficult to conceive.
- Appearance: Semen appear in a whitish to grey shade and is opalescent.
If there is a discrepancy in any of these parameters, it can account to male infertility. It can also showcase some underlying medical condition such as infection, hormonal imbalance,Varicocele, lifestyle diseases and gene defects. At Rathimed Fertility Centre, we provide a complete diagnose and customized treatment plan to restore male fertility. To know more about semen analysis, book an appointment now.