Sperm retrieval is a minor surgical procedure conducted to collect sperm sample from those who have ejaculation issues or with very poor sperm count and quality. The sperm sample is collected from the testis of the patient through a minimally invasive procedure. Poor quality sperms are related to male infertility. The sperms retrieved through surgical procedures are used for fertilization of an egg by mixing it in the medium containing egg or through ICSI process of an IVF treatment cycle.
In the male reproductive system, the sperms are produced in the testicles and are stored and matured in the epididymis. For males with fertility issues, the sperms may not be available for conception due to following reasons:
- Blocked tubes that transport the sperms
- Erectile dysfunction
- Less production of sperms in the testicles
Sperm retrieval techniques
Rathimed Fertility Centre offers minimally invasive sperm retrieval techniques by experienced specialists. The common surgical sperm retrieval techniques performed at Rathimed Fertility Centre includes:
- Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA): PESA is the easiest and most commonly used sperm retrieval procedure performed under a local anesthesia. During the procedure, the doctor uses a thin needle that is inserted through the skin of the testicular sac to reach the epididymis where the sperms are stored and matured. A small amount of semen is extracted through the needle and is examined to extract the sperms.
- Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA): MESA is used when the sperms cannot be retrieved using the PESA technique. Those who have a block in the tubules are referred to undergo a MESA technique for sperm retrieval. The doctor administers a dose of local anesthetic and inserts a needle to reach the tubules of epididymis and collects the semen sample. The semen sample is examined to gather the viable sperms for IVF treatment.
- Micro TESA: Micro TESA dissection procedure allows the surgeon to identify the area of limited sperms available in the organ. The procedure is assisted by an andrologist to source the sperm availability from the seminiferous tubules. The sperms are extracted from the source with minimal damage to the organ. The retrieved sperms are used for future in-vitro fertilization through intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection process. Micro TESA is an advanced method of sperm retrieval as it investigates the presence of viable sperms from the reproductive system and is collected through a single procedure. MICRO TESA dissections are performed in the outer layers of the testicles without affecting the blood flow in the organ and the sperms are retrieved and preserved.
The sperms obtained through sperm retrieval techniques are either mixed with the egg or injected into the egg cytoplasm for fertilization. At Rathimed Fertility Centre, we offer minimally invasive sperm retrieval procedures and other fertility treatment plans to recover from any condition that can cause fertility issues in male and female. To know more about sperm retrieval procedures, contact our Infertility specialist to enquiry on the best treatment option suitable for you and the treatment cost. Book an appointment now!